Kirov region (Russ.: Kirovskaya oblast), located in the northeast of European Russia, is among the largest ones in the area.
Total area: 120 400 sq.m.
Population: 1,319,100 people (as of 01/01/2013).
Administrative centre: Kirov (population:502,600), 900 km to the Northeast of Moscow.
The region is part of the Volga federal district. It borders on 9 other regions of the Russian Federation.
railways – 2 200 km.
highways – 24 100 km.
waterways – 1 800 km.
Time zone: UTC + 3 h (same as Moscow)
Climate: continental, with long and snowy winters and moderately warm summers. The average temperatures range from – -12…-15° С in January to +17…+19° С in July. The average annual rainfall is from 505 mm in the southeast to 665 mm in the northwest.
Natural resources available:
1. Wood – 1.2 billion cu.m. (19th in Russia in reserves).
2. Phosphorites – 2 billion tonnes (45% of Russia’s total reserves).
3.Peat – 378,800,000 tonnes (484 felds bigger than 10 ha).
4. Raw materials for the building industry – glass sands, sand-gravel, clays, building stones, materials for cement production.
Today on the territory of the Kirov oblast there are 413 municipal communities :
- 39 municipal districts;
- 6 city districts;
- 53 urban settlements;
- 315 village settlements.
According to the estimates of Russia’s leading rating agency Expert RA the Kirov oblast is among the moderate investment risks regions.
The investment climate in the region largely depends on the legislation, low crime rate (as for the safety from legislative and crime risks the Kirov region firmly occupies the 5thposition in the list of regions), political stability.
The Kirov oblast Government is interested in mutually beneficial cooperation directed at the development of the oblast’s economy and is willing to support the initiatives of investors.
The system of the State support of the investment activities created in the region allows to receive the following: a state budget credit; a subsidy to pay out a part of the credit interest; insurance arrangements with the State bonds for the attracted investments; tax benefits; preferential terms for the use of the oblast’s property; budgetary investments for the project realization.
At the base of this mechanism there is competitive selection of investment projects in industry. The criteria for the competitive selection are as follows:
- the ratio of tax returns into the oblast budget to the volume of state support;
- the ratio of the value of an average wage specified by the investment project to the value of the subsistence wage;
- labor productivity of a worker at the moment the project reaches its planned capacity;
- the ratio of the retained and created jobs to the population numbers of the town, city or a settlement.